Saturday, December 24, 2005

Peet's Folsom


Peet's Folsom
Originally uploaded by /k.
Reinforcing my blog's never-ending central themes of coffee, beer and cycling, I thought I should at least mention that the Bay Area's finest coffeehouse, Peet's Coffee & Tea, has set up shop in Folsom.

Urban legend has it that back in the day, three younger Peetniks argued and argued with the owner to expand his Berkeley coffeeshop with outlets state and nation wide. The owner was happy with his four or five shops in the Bay Area and refused. Finally the younger Peetniks broke off, moved to Seattle and bought a struggling little company called Starbucks. Don't know if this is true, but it should be on the urban legend page.

Yes, Peet's has better coffee than Starbucks.

4 comments:

/k said...

BTW this is a sweet urban legend about Caribou Coffee, one of my Chiago coffee haunts: http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/caribou.asp

the nygrens said...

Interestingly enough I was given a 1/2lb bag from here for Xmas. My father-in-law got a bag and he does not really enjoy coffe the way I do so he passed on the gem. I've heard great things and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I'll be reviewing it over at BrewMonks after we do the tasting.
http://brewmonks.blogspot.com

the nygrens said...

You can read Peet's story on the Wikipedia site. Evidently there is a Starbuck's connection, but not father and sons.
We'll be tasting ours tonite. Maybe we'll become Peetniks. (grins)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peet's_Coffee_and_Tea

/k said...

Hey, iMonk, thanks for the link. I had heard about this "urban legend" for the seven years I lived in the Bay Area, but didn't really believe it (if you listen to Bay Area natives, everything originated in the Bay Area).

Strange coincidence, I actually visited the "short-lived 4-store partnership in Tokyo" when I was working in Japan.